Thursday, August 18, 2011

Pre-Game Praying

Before I go on with this entry, I just want to make it clear that I am not trying to convert anyone. If I were, this blog would surely be called Goo in the Convent or Crusader Goo. But seeing as that it is not called either of those names, I assure you I’m doing nothing of the sort. Because this blog is called The Silent I in Team (for those of you who didn’t know, though I hope you would. It’s written right above this, you see), this blog is obviously, blatantly, self-centeredly, fabulously about me.

So, before soccer games (and sprints that really scare me), I quickly cross myself and pray. Nothing too needy, for I wouldn’t want to take an important prayer from someone who really needed it (although I’m not sure that’s how God works. Of course, I wouldn’t know). I usually pray for courage or strength (but don’t think I’m too profound, because I also sing Eminem’s very explicit rap songs while running my ladders and pyramids).

This normally helps calm my nerves, because most of the time, talking helps me with the pre-game/ pre-sprint jitters. Yes, I could probably talk to my teammates instead. And after the game or sprints, I generally do. But beforehand, I tend to talk more than I should. When I’m nervous, I ask a lot of questions at a very fast pace, and often annoy whoever I’m talking to rather quickly. (By the way, this also applies to my track season, as well as my soccer season.) But if I say a prayer, I tend to a) talk less, because I’m not getting an immediate response and b) don’t annoy who I’m talking to (because I don’t think even the most annoying of people could annoy God. Or else, it’d be really hard to, anyways).

For me, praying is what gets me focused and prepares me for what I’m about to do. Whether it be praying or stretching or jumping or singing Eminem songs, you should do whatever calms your nerves.

No comments:

Post a Comment