Sunday, August 7, 2011

The Battle Between Turf and Grass

The on-going battle between turf and grass has been heating up as more and more turf fields are being built. Now, not only professional athletes get to feel the extra cushion from the little black ‘turflets’, but both colleges and high schools are also installing the plastic green grass in between their bleachers. Both turf and grass have their strengths and weaknesses. Turf doesn’t need to be cut, supplies athletes with a soft, even surface to play on, and doesn’t get plucked away by cleats (unlike grass, that seems to ‘disappear’ in the commonly-used areas of the field). Both hurt when you fall, although turf doesn’t normally stain your jersey. And both flood.

However, you can’t get around the fact that Turf isn’t real. I used to joke around with my friends about how our grandchildren will one day call grass synthetic turf instead of calling turf synthetic grass. But now, I’m starting to think that this might actually happen. The radical-thinking, kind-of-sort-of-really-crazy side of me is screaming, FIRST SYNTHETIC GRASS, THEN SYNTHETIC PETS, THEN SYNTHETIC PEOPLE! THE WORLD IS GOING TO BE TAKEN OVER BY ROBOTS! (Of course, I would never say this in public, only on the Internet…) But then, I quickly calm myself down and stop screaming inside my head.

Turf is now not only being used for athletics, but also for everyday landscaping. Someday, I predict there’ll be more ‘turflets’ than there is dirt, and more green plastic shreds than there are blades of grass. However, because I blog about high school sports, I’ll resist from pretending to know anything about modern landscaping.

From my perspective as a soccer player, each surface gives you a completely different game. Grass is less predictable regarding how the ball is going to bounce off of the ground, and Turf makes for a faster paced game (because of how the ball rolls faster). Most players have mixed feelings regarding the battle; neither side is generally favored. Between the turf and the grass, it generally comes down to hand-to-hand combat, angry squabbles on the playground and heated arguments at the dinner table. Which is better, turf or grass? Friendships have been ruined and families have been divided. Which side are you on?

No comments:

Post a Comment